🔔
🔎

How can one tell if oil is 350 degrees with out a thermometer? Are there any visual tells?

asked by Hot pastrami about 4 years ago

when you think it is close, drop a cube of bread in. If it sizzles and browns in about that a minute you are good. If it burns in that time, it's too hot. But depending on what you are putting in, the food will cool the oil a bit at first.

But first, what type of oil are you using? Some have lower "smoke" points than others. Usually you can tell when the surface starts to shimmy a bit.

Desert

Nutcakes has it right. If you don't have a thermometer the bread method is really the best way. That trick is old and steeped in the history of culinary.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

You can also tip the end of a wooden spoon in the oil, if it starts to bubble around the tip, then the oil is ready.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I'm with Mr_Vittles. The spoon trick works for me, but more often I will use the tip of a wooden chopstick.