50 FAVORITES UNDER $50 (TALK ABOUT A WIN-WIN). SHOP NOW »

How do you prepare Delicata squash?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 4 years ago

Oh, they're beautiful small sort of turban-shaped squash. Cut out the stem end. Scoop out the seeds and pulp. Crop in a tablespoon or so of butter. Set them in a baking dish in an oven to set to 350 degrees. Roast them until you can easily pierce the shell and flesh with a paring knife. I roasted, puréed so many of them when my son and daughter were babies that they honestly turned sort of a golden color. They're now in college and normal human colors.

Don't crop in a tablespoon of butter, drop it in. The difference between a C and a D.

Wholefoods user icon

Those are my favorite squashes at this time of year! I wash/scrub off the wax if it's on them, knock off the stem with the thick tang of a large kitchen knife then carefully nick the squash to imbed your knife so that it's going to split the squash from end to end, hopefully making an even split and the two sides are about equal. I usually in-list the help of my meat mallet to tap the top of the blade so it slices down through the squash. (Kinda like splitting wood) My hands are not very strong these days! Anyway, once split, spoon out the seeds gently with a soup spoon. (You can separate the seeds from the membrane, wash them, dry and roast them for a treat too) This is getting too long! Season the squash with a bit of salt and pepper. Put the two halves upside down in a baking dish, poke a few times with a kitchen fork, add a bit of water to pan, about enough to cover the base of the squash. Bake at 350 for 20-30 mins. Once they yield a bit when pinched, they are done. Leave in the pan for a few minutes , turn right side up, butter, and serve!

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

The food52 recommendation is truly a home run, you can skip the sauce and just do the lime zest and it will still be great. http://www.food52.com/recipes... I have one in the vegetable bowl just waiting for this treatment.

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

When I was working on a farm and up to my ears in delicata, we didn't even bother scooping out the seeds before roasting. Just slice them into rings, cut with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast. The seeds are a nice and crunchy addition.