🔎

Has anyone had success using whole wheat flour to make a roux (or bechamel)?

Dsc_0048b
Image

I use King Arthur white whole wheat flour in place of all purpose for roux--it comes out fine. (Never have made a bechamel.)

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870
Helen's All Night Diner added over 2 years ago

I've use whole wheat flour for roux and bechamel. The end product is not a silky smooth as a white flour version, but if you're making something more rustic, it doesn't really matter. I think of it as making the switch from white rice to brown rice. After a while brown rice is normal!

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added over 2 years ago

I knew I could get good advice here! For a mushroom pasta dish I'm thinking of playing with, I think I will giveiti a try! I often use white whole wheat in the limited baking I do, so I might try that first.
Thanks!

Image

If you want to get really depressed, read this article from the Food52 News section:
http://www.theatlantic...

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added over 2 years ago

I know!! First thing I saw this morning. Especially the part about the whole wheat bread!

Me
wssmom added over 2 years ago

The Spouse has virtually eliminated wheat from his diet and dropped 10 pounds ...

Junechamp

I've used whole wheat flour for roux and for bechamels and veloutes. Just don't be surprised when they're pale beige! Otherwise, it works fine.

drbabs: Americans' addictions to lots of foods are making us fat and unhealthy -- not just wheat. imho one of the biggest problems is the size of our portions, and that we think we MUST have such huge amounts or we're being "cheated." so sad.

Jampro
Bevi added over 2 years ago

I AM depressed from the Atlantic article. Thinking that having just a few potato chips will keep me from eating the whole bag isn't working, I guess. And yes, then I did need that Akmak cracker a few hours later. Having said that, I did manage to eat fewer taco chips last night in our local taqueria by breaking one chip into 3 pieces. I have lived long enough and been through the gamut of diets. Portion control is the key, I believe.

Scan0004
susan g added over 2 years ago

Observations from seeing my husband when he had to eat gluten free: at first he lost weight, but as he experimented with GF options and found some that he really likes, the weight came back. Yes, portions matter, and overeating just doesn't help! Some people claim that any flour, whole grain or not, promotes weight gain (pasta as well as baked goods).

Another suggestion for the roux -- whole wheat pastry flour is ground very fine and a bit lighter than regular, but more so than white WW. Even non-wheat flours would thicken.

Anita_date

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Never tried whole wheat, but when I make gluten free mac 'n' cheese, rice flour works EXCELLENTLY as a base for roux. Highly recommend it! Just use the same as you would regular flour.