FREE Standard Shipping. TODAY: Up to 30% Off Gift Cards (limited supply). Shop Now »
🔔
🔎

i wouldn't think there would be a problem with it...i would just peel and thinly slice the apples to make sure they cook all the way through. sounds delicious!

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Raw apples inside cakes do not really cook/bake through. If you are eating the cake the day you make it, fantastic. If you want to take the cake somewhere the next day or have it to eat for a few days I suggest pre-cooking the apples a bit. Batter based baked goods do not "bake" around "wet fruit" additions, especially when they are not evenly distributed throughout batter.

There are so many ways to cook apples quickly. I agree with someonewhobakes that you will want to peel your apples. I like to quickly saute apple pieces in a dash of butter and a sprinkle of sugar, or cut them up and cook them, covered, over very very low heat until they cook into chunky sauce in their own released juices or bake them, covered, in the oven with a bit of apple cider, a bay leaf and some sugar.

This is great to know. Thanks both!! I'm realizing now that my favorite part of my mom's stand-by apple cake, the cake around the layer of apples, probably was, as you suggest, not cooked through. I've always had a thing for batter and undercooked cake, but surely safer to cook beforehand. I'm going to saute them as Shuna suggests.