A question about a recipe: Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter

Md_qkywxorbhdiml4ku5nw2mhd702_yp-5_n51owsxu

I have a question about the ingredient "Salt to taste" on the recipe "Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter" from Genius Recipes. I don't want to add salt to the recipe to cut down on sodium. Can you suggest any other spice or herb that would suffice.? I have lots of tomotos from my garden to use up.

asked by KarenOCook almost 3 years ago
Louise_avatar

Replacing salt is hard - nothing else does the same job, which is to boost the flavour. I wouldn't skip the salt completely, but add a smaller quantity and taste it to see if you lIke the result. Another idea is to add a little vinegar - acid will also sharpen the flavor, but in a different way.

Junechamp

If you're on a salt-restricted diet, I wouldn't add any. If it's just a matter of preference, I'd use a pinch. (that translates into 1/8 teaspoon.)

A squirt of lemon juice would enhance the flavor, but tomatoes are pretty acidic on their own.

Image

If you're limiting sodium in general, you might want to consider following Sodium Girl's blog. (http://sodiumgirl.wordpress...) She has great ideas for enhancing taste while limiting sodium.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

My husband is on a low-sodium diet. I often finish with Kosher Salt at the end of cooking and eliminating any salt in the recipe for a salt taste. Thereare very good supermarket no salt spice blends by cuisine that could be used. Drdabs suggestion for sodiumgirl's blog is a great resource.