I had a brooklyn blackout cupcake which is a chocolate cake filled with chocolate pudding. Is this the same as a chocolate pastry cream?

From two little red hens bakery in NYC. It is a chocolate cupcake filled with chocolate pudding

asked by lyric876 almost 3 years ago
Merrill

Pudding can be very similar to pastry cream (which is typically made with eggs, flour, sugar and milk), but it really depends on the specific recipe used.

3-bizcard

I am not sure if this is the same bakery that used to be in Park Slope Brooklyn, if it is i have had that same cupcake. The filling as i remember is not a traditional pastry cream. It was creamy but not heavy with milk or cream. It seemed to me to have water in it along with the milk making it a darker more intense chocolate. I could be way off and this is possibly a different bakery with a different recipe but that is my recollection.

3-bizcard

I found this recipe by Gale Gand for a Brooklyn Blackout cake and here are the ingredients for the filling. I just googled Brooklyn Blackout Cake and got this:

Custard:
3 cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
Scant 2/3 cup cornstarch
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract