🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Salted Pumpkin Caramels

101910f_412

If I'm using pepitos straight from the pumpkin, should I toast them first?
Thanks!

asked by claseter almost 3 years ago

I'd certainly defer to cheese1227, but my hunch would be to rinse very well, spread out on a sheet pan lined with parchment, and toast at 350 degrees until fragrant. Set the time for 10 minutes, sniff, and adjust accordingly.

Christine-28_small(1)

So you've taken the pepitos out of their shells? I'm told by a farmer friend that pepitos come from a certain variety of pumpkins. You have those?

Anyway, if they are browned and crunchy, that is the way you want them. If they are not, toast them until they are.

Thanks for all the answers! I did take them out of the shells -- they are soft (think sunflower seeds) but do have that nice green outer layer...I have toasted full seeds before to snack on -- they're good if tossed with some spices...I'll dry toast and give it a shot -- thanks!

Sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

I would second boulangere. I think it would give much nicer flavor than using raw!

Gator_cake

The texture of pepitos is not the same as what comes out of the pumpkins - the shell is kinda tough.

Good to know. The one time I tried toasting them when the kids were little (thought it would be a fun adventure for them), they popped and shot all over the oven like popcorn. It took a couple of weeks and some serious candle-burning to get the smell out of the house. Since then, I subscribe to the "cheap at twice the price" philosophy.