Anybody know how to make persimmons ripen quickly? Mine are still hard as rocks.

Persimmons

I have tried the paper bag trick and that doesn't seem to be doing anything.

asked by Lizthechef over 2 years ago
Dsc_0122.nef-1

we were discussing persimmons at the potluck party & i believe it Takes a REAALLLY long time Maybe add a banana into the paper bag, just as a source of ethylene??

Flower-bee

Persimmons ripen differently than other fruits, so paper bag or banana won't help. Expect to wait for several weeks for a really hard persimmon to ripen. One of the things that affects the most how they ripen and even if they do ( and their flavor) is when they are picked.They need to remain on the tree untill all of it's leaves have fallen and need to go though at least one frost night before you pick them. Patience might be about the only thing you can do.

Photo

Lizthechef, it depends on what type of persimmons you have. The two most commonly seen are Fuyu and Hachiya. The flattened type, Fuyu, do not really soften and are ripe and sweet when firm. The rounded, more apple-shaped Hachiya are the ones that ripen to a custard-like texture. I'm not sure why those would not be ripening for you. Could it be that you have the flat-shaped Fuyus? If so, try one. If it's a Fuyu it will taste good. The Hachiyas are too astringent to eat while firm.

Newliztoqueicon-2

Thanks, SMSF I have the Hachiya ones that I use to make a rich, dense bread. Guess my next blog post will have to wait another week ;)

Dsc_0048b

I don't even buy hachiya any more as they always seem to take too long to ripen and then I forget about them and they rot. I only buy fuyu!

I'll just echo the "wait" approach endorsed here. I tried a trick once: freeze the hachiyas and then let them thaw out - it affected the texture but they were still puckery as heck. Total tannin overload. So - just wanted to save you from that outcome. :-)

Flower-bee

Unfortunately freezing them in the freezer is not a substitute for them experiencing the frost on the tree. When they remain on the branch, other chemical changes continue to happen.

Lay them (hachiyas) side by side in a flat box. They shouldn't touch each other. Place a few apples in the group. Keep the box inside out of the cold and cover them at night. These instructions are from an Italian website and have worked for me.

i purchased a box of beautiful huge persimmons five days ago
i placed the box in a plastic bag, with a few apples on top of the persimmons, closed the bag, well, surprise, they are ready to eat,
i just had one , and it was delicious, last year i purchased a few of them
keep them on the kitchen table not covered, it took a month for them to be ready, so thank to this system i was able to eat one of my favorite fruits
just in five days,

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I have found that keeping the persimmons in a brown paper bag with bananas will ripen them within a few days. Just make sure they don't freeze (that does soften and sweeten them, but doesn't remove the tannins that make them feel astringent and bitter). Apples could work, I imagine, but they would probably ripen much more slowly. If it's warm where you are, placing an astringent persimmon in sunlight will remove the tannins very quickly.