A question about a recipe: Cranberry-Molasses Pudding with Vanilla Hard Sauce

111610f_338

I bought all the ingredients to make this for dessert tonight; however, just realized that my bundt pan is nearly the same diameter as my dutch oven (the widest pot I've got). The lip of the bundt sits flush on top of the dutch oven, which means the dutch oven lid won't have a tight a seal on the pot, even though the pudding pan will be sealed with layers of tin foil. The lip of the bundt pan, which juts out over the edge of the dutch oven, would be acting as the seal, with the weight of the dutch oven lid over it. Is that enough, or should I just abort unless I can figure out a smaller mold to use? Any ideas? Thanks!

asked by Sugar On My Tongue almost 3 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

How about using foil to cover the dutch oven and bundt pan instead of the lid?

Fb_food_composite1

good idea, thanks! that extra layer should help seal in the steam.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I'd secure the foil with cooking twine, though, as the steam when it's rising will push the foil up and could allow steam to escape. I'd probably use a double layer of foil, too. ;o)

Fb_food_composite1

Antonia and Amanda - thanks for both your suggestions. I heeded your advice, using foil and twine, and it worked perfectly! The resulting steamed pudding was a huge hit at our dinner party last night :)

Pict0361

I usually wrap the pudding in foil all around anyhow, to keep water out of it -- glad it worked out! It's such a delicious dessert for the holidays.

Pict0361