🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

I'm making an apple pie. How many pounds of apples should be used for a 9.5 inch pie dish? And which are the best kind?

asked by JessP almost 3 years ago
Headshot
broccolirose

Natalie is a recipe tester for Food52.

For Mark Bittman's Traditional Apple Pie (9" dish) he says to use 5 or 6 Cortland or McIntosh apples which is about 1 to 1.5 lbs. My mom used to have her own pie business and uses a mix of Granny Smith and a softer apple to balance the flavor (tart and sweet) and texture (firm and soft). Good luck!

3-bizcard

I don't measure in pounds I use 6 or 7 apples. I also mix different kinds, a granny smith is usually in the mix whatever looks good at the farmers market. I exclude macintosh and apples like that that are not firm and don't hold up to baking. I usually just mix them up but this year I am doing as mrslarkin does and layer the different types of apples.

Imag0055

It depends on the apple, but for a 9 inch pie I use about 8 apples. A mix is really nice, and local apples are even better. Some favorites for pie: Northern Spy, Idared, Cortland, Liberty, Russet, Baldwin. I find that late-maturing apples (like the Spy) are firmer and may take a bit longer in the oven. Be sure to wait until the filling is bubbly. Macs are too soft for a whole pie, but a couple are nice for their sweetness. It is worth seeking out different sorts of apples. See the article about apple varieties in this week's New Yorker.