🔔
🔎

Plastic for Dry-Brined Turkey

Ooops I started dry-brining the turkey in a new plastic trash bag (unable to find a 2 1/2 gallon ziplock bag) and just now read the concerns about using non- food grade plastic for such an endeavor. Since we are having Thanksgiving on Friday should I go out in search of a better bag and repackage it or will that ruin the whole thing?

asked by wssmom about 3 years ago

I'd go in search, repackage, and not worry any further.

Merrill

I agree with boulangere!

Me

Thanks so much, boulangere and Merrill!! I am off (again) to the market ....

I'm doing a lot of againing these days, too.

Ugh, I guess I have to do that, too. wssmom, let me know where you found the bags.

found them at Waldbaum's

And the bad news. My 18 pound turkey is way too big for a 2.5 gallon ziploc bag. So I'm going to have to take my chances on the plastic kitchen bag!

Farmer's_market

Just remembered something. I have used a 'Kitchen' (not 'Trash') bag before to marinate a whole butterflied leg of lamb to put on the grill - in oo, lemon, garlic, rosemary, etc. Everyone lived to tell the tale. (Proviso: that was just an overnight marinating, not a 3 day poultry spa treatment.)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Did you see that Kristen answered a question on the Genius recipes page, saying that you can wrap it in layers of saran wrap and put it on a baking sheet? Not sure if that works (I'm thinking fridge space might be an issue here), but it may be more convenient than having to go shopping -- today -- for a huge plastic bag. ;o)

Thanks--I already braved blinding rain at dusk and bought the bag but the turkey didn't fit! On another topic--it was so much fun hearing your interview on Leonard Lopate today!

Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

You could also try the plastic wrap idea that someone else suggested -- it'll be awkward to wrap (and you'll need to wrap it a lot), but what about maneuvering a turkey isn't awkward?

I'm living dangerously. The turkey has already been in the bag since Sunday night. Note to self: next year buy a smaller turkey. (I don't like turkey anyway. Unlikely that I'll even eat much of it. I hope not to kill any of my guests.......)

Me

Lol drbabs I doubt anyone will perish ....

Ry_400

Oh no, I wrapped mine in a kitchen trash bag as well. Keeping my fingers crossed as it is too late now.

See you in prison.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I think a clean unscented kitchen trash bag is fine. Just my two cents.

I did, too, until boulangere wrote about chemicals to help plastic bags degrade.

is there something wrong with plastic wrap?

Probably not, except for now that my turkey has been dry brining in a plastic bag for 2 days, I really didn't want to take on the challenge of removing a wet slippery 18 pound turkey from a plastic bag and trying to wrap it in layers of plastic wrap. So I decided to take my chances.

Farmer's_market

I mentioned this in another thread, but I've marinated (overnight) large pieces of meat in white kitchen bags several times before - e.g., butterflied leg of lamb. No problem. I'm not worried either.

More concerned about the usual: timing turkey right for guests arriving; being a lousy carver; gravy getting too hot and thinning down; rolls drying out when being rewarmed; fitting everyone around the table...

Wait, this is fun, right? (I kid. After a certain point - or maybe it's that pre-game Manhattan - I get very Doris Day about it all. Que sera, sera....)