What is the best way to store a homemade apple pie?

asked by Janice Ross over 2 years ago
Dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

In the refrigerator until soon before serving and then pop it into the oven for a final warm!

Adg_specialists_pictures_215
gt9

One of the best apple pie makers, the elegant farmer, suggests leaving their apple pie out on the counter, uncovered.

Scan0004

Uncovered? That depends on what comes to your kitchen. Some have cockroaches, some have cats (stories of turkeys eaten by cats on a 'Thanksgiving disaster' question), some have flies, ants, children...
Tupperware?

How long are you intending to store it? You can freeze whole pies for quite some time, baked or unbaked. Depending on the size of the pie dish, you might be able to slip the whole thing in a gallon-size zip-top bag. otherwise wrap it nice and tight with foil.

I second Francesca's re-warming via the oven technique. It makes pies taste freshly baked even if it's been stored.

Pie_with_flowers

I place a tea towel over the top of the pie. Pies in my house, usually don't last long enough to worry about multi-day storage!