New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Yes, you can use buttermilk, but add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to it, to neutralize the acid (which can affect the yeast). And yes, you can omit the wheat germ, but you'll need to replace it with about 1 tablespoon of flour (any kind). ;o)

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Sometimes yeasted breads can be a bit finicky about the kind of liquids that are used in their family of recipes. Yeast does not always interact with soured milks well, although for one loaf it would be worth a shot. If I don't have milk for a yeasted bread recipe I substitute water.

I've tried AntoniaJames's recipe for Buttermilk Oat bread, and it was really soft and chewy and gooooood! So I was hoping it would have given a good texture to the bread, but it might not be the case for all yeasted bread? I'll give it a shot!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

This won't be quite as soft, and will be a different kind of chewy. The rice grains are a bit firmer than the oatmeal, once hydrated. They add a nice texture, but the "crumb" is not as even as it is in my buttermilk oatmeal bread. There's a lot of variability in the amount of moisture that the cooked grains hold, so it's important to let the dough rest at least once, before you've finished kneading it, to let the flour hydrate. That way you'll have a better sense as to how much flour to add while kneading. Have fun!! ;o)

ooo.. sounds so intriguing!