🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A friend's mother used to serve a chocolate rum layer cake that was the best thing I ever put in my mouth. Mrs. G was Polish, which may or may not be a key here. As I recall, the cake was three layers high. It may have been four. Filled and iced. She kept it in the refrigerator and sliced it very thin. It was so rich, a skinny slice was plenty.

Mrs. G declined to give out the recipe because she'd once given it to a friend and when the friend's efforts resulted in a flop, she accused Mrs. G of sabotage. It was most upsetting to this lovely, honest, and kind lady.

Anyone have something in her or his repetoire that might come close? Thanks!

asked by Nora almost 4 years ago
Cakecake

I don't suppose this might be something similar?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4...

Cakecake

This is a google document of a Polish cookbook.. there are several torte/filling/frosting recipes in there. Perhaps Mrs. G may have made her cake from several of these (or similar) components? (do post back if you find the recipe.. it just sounds so good, I'd love to try it!) :)

Cakecake

aaaaaaand here's the link that I forgot:

http://books.google.com...

Me_by_barbara_tyroler

Thanks, @campagnes. I've tried many times to find a chocolate cake with rum in the batter and you've done it! And I'm so intrigues by the Polish cookbook. Some combination should come close. I'll play, and report the results.

Cheers!