If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My roots are Bulgarian and Macedonian and throughout my life, banitsa, the traditional filled filo pastry has always been a part of family meals. My mom and I used to set aside a day in early November, making 100 rolls filled with spinach, apples, peppery ground beef to freeze for the holidays....but my favorite was always the leek filled rolls. So I took that leek filling and baked it in a tart shell. Oh my!! Memories... - inpatskitchen —inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: I had my eye on this tender tart. I've always used ice water in my tart pastry, and the half and half used here in its place gives the crust a wonderful tenderness that marries beautifully with her soft filling. I used whole milk cottage cheese along with the ricotta, and the buttery leeks fold right into the gentle custard. This would be lovely to serve on a brunch buffet, first because its pale colors are beautiful, but also because its delicate texture firms up a bit as it comes closer to room temperature. I so enjoyed this new cultural experience. - boulangere —boulangere
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 8 ounce stick of butter cut into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 - 4 tablespoons half and half
- Mix the flour and salt together and place in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the butter and pulse about 8 times.
- Add the half and half, one tablespoon at a time and pulse until you can form the dough into a ball for rolling.
- Roll the dough into a round large enough for a 10 inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Lightly spray the pan with cooking oil and press the rolled round in.
- Bake the tart shell for 10 minutes at 400F. Remove from the oven and set aside while preparing the filling.
- 3 1/2 cups leeks ( white and light green part only) which have been quartered lengthwise and then thinly sliced into quarter moons.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cottage cheese set in a colander and thoroughly drained of all liquid.
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (preferably Bulgarian feta)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Saute the leeks in the butter until soft and fragrant. Remove to a medium mixing bowl and let cool.
- When the leeks have cooled, stir in the remaining ingredients and thoroughly combine.
- Pour the mixture into the tart shell and bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 325F.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Leeks
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.