If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I started out intending to make a simple cannellini and garlic soup but then I got on a riff with some other ingredients I had on hand, which is usually how I cook when I'm not following a strict recipe. So I decided to add Swiss chard and sun-dried tomatoes plus some onion and parsley. I served the soup with a drizzle of olive oil and a slice of sour dough wheat bread topped with melted Parmesan. The bread is from Black Crow Bakery here in Maine which I consider to be the best of the numerous boutique European-style bakeries in the state. - DSpeer
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound Swiss chard, leaves shreded and stems diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 40 ounces chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked white kidney beans
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a 3-4 qt soup pot, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until wilted, about 8 minutes
- Add parsley and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes more
- Add crushed tomatoes or paste and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring to blend ingredients
- Add sun dried tomatoes ans keep cooking for another 2-3 minutes
- Add chard stems and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until tender
- Add chard leaves and Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste and cook for 5 minutes more until most of the moisture evaporates
- Stir in the chicken stock and heat until simmering
- Add white beans and continue simmering, uncovered for at least 30 minutes, You can simmer longer to meld the flavors but you may need to add more stock if it reduces too much.
- Adjust flavors with salt and pepper, serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a splash of vinegar if you want a little more brightness.
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.