Author Notes: I love soup and stews, especially in the cold months. I created this when I received multiple heads of cauliflower in my CSA. I get really excited when I break out my favorite kitchen tool---the immersion blender. - mcms1974
Serves 6-8 as a first course
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks, white and light green only, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup skim milk
- 8-10 leaves basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- In a 6 quart pot melt the butter over medium. Add the leeks and shallots and saute unitil softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and cauliflower to the pot. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Simmer with the lid on for 20-25 until the cauliflower is very tender.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender until very smooth. Add 1/2 cup milk. Use an additional 1/4+ milk if soup is too thick.
- Season with salt, pepper and basil. Lastly, stir in the romano cheese.