Fresh ricotta is a standard staple in the Mediterranean cooking. After living on the Island of Malta for a year, I learned that fresh ricotta cheese can be used with just about any recipe! Here is one of my family’s favorites we created with leftover chicken. I also substitute fennel for the leeks and add red bell peppers for color. This is such a versatile recipe you can't go wrong!
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Butter for coating
- Chive stems for garnish
- In large skillet melt butter with oil over medium heat. Add leeks, shallot and garlic; cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk cream and eggs in a large bowl to blend. Add ricotta cheese and Swiss cheese to blend. Stir in chicken, salt , pepper and skillet mixture.
- Generously butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish or 6 individual dishes if desired. Preheat oven to 350. Transfer mixture to prepared dish.
- Bake gratin until bubbly and lightly browned and knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes for large and 25 minutes for individual. Garnish with chive stems.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta