If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A tasty, lighter fare quiche, made predominantly with egg whites, fresh garden veggies and a bit of cheese in a short grain brown rice crust. I have made this style crust for a few years - it is an adaptation of one found online (where?), I tweaked from long grain to short grain brown rice and often change up the type of cheese used in the crust to compliment the quiche ingredients. —lapadia
Makes one 10 inch pie
BROWN RICE CRUST
- Nonstick butter cooking spray
- 2 cups cooked and cooled short grain brown rice
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup jack cheese - or your choice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 10 inch pie pan with butter cooking spray and set aside. Mix together, the rice, cheese and 1 egg white. Press mixture over the bottom and sides of the pan. Bake uncovered, 5 minutes. Cool while preparing the filling.
- 1 cup leeks
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated, peel on, excessive moisture pressed out (I use a potato ricer), or you can just take the extra time to cook the water out – step 2
- Optional – a couple teaspoons pimento
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk 1 or 2%
- 2 large egg whites & 1 large
- 1 cup micro plane grated Parmesan/Pecorino mix
- Pepper to taste
- NOTE: the cheese is usually salty enough, so I leave it out
- Add the leeks, carrot and zucchini to a saucepan with vegetable broth. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 15 minutes - salt & pepper to taste.
- Increase heat to medium high and cook, stirring until all liquid is evaporated.
- Transfer to mixing bowl. Add in the pimento (optional) and toss. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime: Whisk 2 egg whites and 1 large egg together. Mix the eggs into the milk.
- Pour the milk/egg mixture into the cooled vegetables. Pour mixture into the rice crust. Add the cheese.
- Optional: at this point, I sometimes dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake until the filling is puffed and set (about 30-35 minutes). Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.