If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I like to use long grain brown rice versus it's long grain white counterparts like basmati, jasmine or regular old white rice. It's healthier and heartier and usually a little cheaper as you can find it in the bulk bins at Whole Foods. - ChefShanaRachel http://knifestylesofthefitandfabulous.blogspot.com
Food52 Review: I don't recall ever having used turmeric when it wasn't combined with other, boldly-flavored spices, so it was with great interest that I volunteered to test this recipe. I am now so glad that I did! You start with a shallot (always a great idea) and a bit of garlic; then you toast the turmeric with the rice with them, for much longer than I ever would have thought to do. The result is fantastic. Brown vinegar, added to the deeply-scented cooked rice, makes the turmeric come alive. The crunchy texture and rich nutty taste of toasted almonds, along with the bright flavors and color of cilantro and scallions, round the dish out. An excellent pilaf!! ;o) - AntoniaJames - AntoniaJames
- 1 small shallot, small dice
- 1 large garlic clove or 2 medium, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp. veggie stock
- 2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup almonds, roasted and rough chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro (or parsley) minced
- 1 green onion, sliced thin along the bias
- salt, to taste
- Heat sauce pot over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp. veggie stock. When hot, add shallots, a pinch of salt and sweat (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and stir to combine. When fragrant, add turmeric.
- When onions and garlic are a dark yellow from turmeric, add rice and toast for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining veggie stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- When rice is finished cooking, about 40 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Combine rice and vinegar. When combined, add almonds, cilantro and green onions.
- Serve hot.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Lettuce love vegetables.
This is poppin'.