If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bay, cinnamon, vanilla and cashews flavor this somewhat chewy porridge. For a real treat, stir a tablespoon or so of fresh, nut-infused chhena into each bowl. You can use ordinary ricotta or crème fraiche instead, if you prefer. Enjoy!! ;o) - AntoniaJames
Food52 Review: This slow cooked savory porridge does not fall short on flavor. The vanilla, cinnamon, and brown sugar combination gently conjures images of quiet mornings wrapped up in warm blankets during winter, while the bay and ricotta give the cereal a little bit of history. The toasted cashews are a delightful addition of extra texture that complement the nuttiness of the grains. Served best on a Sunday with a generous mug of hot tea, the morning paper, and a room full of quiet. - goldenblind221 - goldenblind221
Serves 4 to 6
- 2/3 cup whole oat groats
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick, split in 2
- 1 two-inch piece of vanilla bean
- Small pinch of salt
- ½ cup sweet brown rice
- ¼ - ½ cup homemade almond or cashew milk, or for a non-vegan porridge, half-and-half, or whole cream to taste (See note below.)
- Yellow raisins (optional)
- Jaggery or brown sugar, to taste
- Toasted cashews, or (for a non-vegan dish) Cashew Infused Chhena, or both (recipe for the latter is on food52)
- Simmer the oat groats uncovered in 4 cups of water with the bay leaves, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean and salt for about an hour, or until nearly all the water is absorbed, i.e., until there is a very thin layer of water covering the groats.
- Add the rice and another cup of water. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to very low and cover. Cook for 45 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the porridge sit for about fifteen minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. For a stronger vanilla flavor, scrape out the vanilla seeds. ( I find that they overwhelm the other flavors in this, so I don't do that.)
- Stir in the nut milk or half-and-half and the raisins and heat through.
- Serve with jaggery or brown sugar, to taste, and cashew-infused chhena, if using. Garnish with toasted cashews or other nuts, or pine nuts.
- Enjoy!! ;o)
- NB: This is also delicious with my Sweet Almond Chhena, the recipe for which is posted on food52.
- For vegans, you can leave out the dairy and stir in some cashew or almond butter, or use a rich homemade nut milk.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Behind the scenes.