If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We use grade B maple syrup in almost all of our cooking, especially during sugar season. This is a really simple recipe with just 4 ingredients; we have made this for ages, but I am using fresh horseradish root for a change instead of prepared. This recipe works really well with scallops, or water chestnuts, wrapped in some incredible bacon. —Sagegreen
- small pinch of kosher salt
- 3-4 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh horseradish root, to taste
- 1/2 cup grade B maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, recommended for tang
- Add a pinch of salt to the peeled, grated horseradish and let that sit for about 10 minutes..
- Whisk the mustard in with the maple syrup. Then whirl the grated horseradish into the maple syrup; let the combination mingle together for at least half an hour together in a cup.
Bacon and scallop, or water chestnut, hors d'oeuvres
- 30 tooth picks
- @6 slices Black Forest bacon, or applewood cured excellent bacon
- 30 bay scallops, or water chestnut halves, patted dry
- Soak the toothpicks in cold water for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile stretch the bacon slices as long as you can. If they measure 10 inches, you can probably make them 15 inches.Cut each stretched slice into lengths that will wrap around each scallop, water chestnut or chicken piece. I got 5 new pieces out of each slice. Wrap each item with a bacon slice and then secure with a toothpick. Preheat the broiler.
- Swirl each bacon-wrapped hors d'oeuvres gently in the maple horseradish marinade and place on a broiler rack with a pan below. Let these rest for a few minutes, so the marinade soaks in. With the oven rack about 4 inches from the element, broil these for about 2 minutes on one side, then turn over for another 2 minutes. Watch carefully to avoid any flames. Serve while warm.
Tags: sweet and savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.