If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This isn't your typical split pea soup. There are no ham hocks. In fact it is entirely vegetarian. I buy dried split peas, which can be found with the lentils or other dried beans. Split-peas are high in protein and low in fat with only 1 gram of fat per 350 calorie serving and are a great source of fiber. If you are up for giving something new a try, this is a relatively quick and easy dish to make. - Simplefoodhealthylife
- 1 cup Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 4 cups Water
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock, Low-Sodium
- 2 cups Dried Split-Peas
- 3/4 cup White Wine
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large pan or dutch oven/cast iron pot.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add split-peas, along with 4 cups water, 2.5 cups vegetable stock and 1/2 cup wine.
- Put top on and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove and stir. If liquid is really low add 1/4 cup vegetable stock and 1/4 cup water at a time.
- Let simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Peas should be al dente, meaning they should not be crunchy but they also should not be mushy. If they have reached this stage, you can turn the stove top off. If they have not, check liquid levels, adding water and vegetable stock as instructed in Step 4 and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Proceed to Step 6 when peas have reached al dente.
- Pour contents of pot into food processor (or blender if necessary). Add salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Add 2tbsp olive oil and 1/4 cup of wine (if you need all of the wine to be cooked in with the dish, add the full 3/4 cup of wine in Step 3). Puree again for 30 seconds.
- If the soup is too thick, feel free to add 1/4 cup of water at a time and puree until it is the consistency you desire. www.simplefoodhealthylife.com
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.