If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is tweaked from one of those wonderful old church cookbooks and came to me 20 years ago from my Canadian aunt who was always the elegant one in the family. It's very simple but always gets rave reviews. Let your budget be your guide when choosing your mushrooms...but as it comes from a time when any mushroom not in a can was considered exotic, it was originally made with humble button mushrooms and they are still a delicious choice. Avoid mushrooms like portobellos that bleed their color .... it won't be as pretty...and don't skip the ice cold salad plates and forks. It makes all the difference. —Pat in SoCal
- 1/2 cup excellent olive oil
- 1/4 cup tarragon vinegar, or any nice light vinegar you have
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 clove minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 torn head of butter lettuce
- 1/4 pound finely shredded good quality Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms of your choice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- a splash of dry vermouth or white wine
- Put salad plates in the freezer and the forks in the refrigerator for an hour or so. (Really! It will make a difference)
- Shake oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, tarragon, and salt and pepper in a screw top jar and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Toss together well dried lettuce and shredded cheese and keep chilled until ready
- Just before serving, toss the dressing with salad, mixing well. Plate the tossed salad and get everyone to the table.
- Quickly saute mushrooms in butter in a hot skillet ...by now we all know not to crowd them...until nicely browned (almost cripy edged) and then deglaze the pan with a splash of wine.
- While the mushrooms are still sizzling hot, spoon them over the salad so the hot mushrooms begin to melt the cheese and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
Get whisked away.