If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every one should know how to make a good steak at home and this recipe is just delicious. It's simply and elegant, and perfect for those times when you want a really special meal.
- Gourmet Recipes for One
- 6 ounces filet mignon
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 3.5-ounce package shiitake mushrooms (can also use oyster or portobello)
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium beef stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat an oven-proof heavy-bottomed pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for about 1-2 minutes. Pat steaks dry and season one side of filet with salt and pepper. Place seasoned side down in pan an sear for 4-5 minutes on each side, until browned. Transfer pan to oven and cook for another 7-8 minutes, or until desired doneness (to test for doneness, insert a meat thermometer into side of meat: 120°F for rare, 125-130°F for medium-rare, 135°F for medium-rare). Remove from oven and tent with aluminum foil until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and allow to caramelize slightly (do not stir), about 5 minutes. Gently stir and season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until mushrooms are just softened. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
- Add sherry to deglaze pan, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add beef stock and heavy cream and stir together. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and add mushrooms back to pan. Cook until sauce has thickened. Spoon warm mushrooms and sauce over steak and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
You're the Best, Forget the Rest
The World's 50 Best Restaurants have nothin' on these recipes.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
These are mmmpanadas.
You won't be board with this game.