Author Notes: This recipe was adapted from Gourmet magazine and inspired by a still life painting by the early 20th century British artist, Sir William Nicholson. - feastingonart - feastingonart
Food52 Review: I would like to give a hearty thumbs up to this Mushroom Bread Pudding recipe. The dish starts with a simple sauté of a variety of mushrooms along with onions and herbs. The addition of rye bread and Parmesan cheese boosts the flavor of this comforting pudding. Other herbs such as fresh oregano, dill or marjoram could work quite well along with other cheeses. Yum! - sticksnscones - sticksnscones
- 2 cups sourdough + rye bread cubes
- 25 ounces mixed mushrooms
- 1/4 cup brown onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup single cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- salt + pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Bake bread cubes in a shallow pan for 10 minutes until golden. Cut mushrooms into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Saute the onion in butter in a small saucepan until soft, three minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until moisture from the mushrooms has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Add parsley and garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, cream, cheese, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Stir in mushrooms and bread and let stand 10 minutes until the egg mixture is absorb
- Butter 4 ramekins. Spoon in mixture and bake on a metal tray for 30 to 35 minutes, until firm to the touch. Serve warm.