Author Notes: This is the ultimate mushroom lover's pasta. Mushrooms are one of my favorite ingredients of all time and I came up with this idea of adding porcini mushroom powder to pasta dough in my quest to maximize mushroom flavor in everyday dishes. This recipe packs a porcini punch in every bite and its triple mushroom layers will satisfy the most die-hard mushroom fans - like me.
One batch of pasta makes about 450g of porcini fettuccini which serves about 6 people. In this recipe, I used only 150g of the fettuccini for two servings but you can freeze the rest of the pasta for another time or you can make more mushroom sauce and invite a few friends to eat up the whole batch. - yuko
Serves 2 large servings
For Homemade Porcini Fettuccini (makes a total of 450g/16 oz of fettuccini. Use only 150g of the fettuccini in combination with the two-serving sauce recipe below)
- 10 ounces all-purpose flour
- 0.7 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- pinches salt
- 4 large eggs
- 30 milliliters extra virgin olive oil
For Creamy Wild Mushroom Sauce
- 6.5 ounces mixed fresh mushroom of your choice ..... clean and slice or cut into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove ..... minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon plus pinch Italian parsley ..... chopped
- truffle oil (optional)
- For Homemade Porcini Fettuccini : Put dried porcini in a food processor and run the machine until the porcini becomes powder.
- Mix flour, salt and porcini powder in a bowl.
- Put the flour mix on a work surface and make a well.
- Break the eggs into the well and add olive oil. Gently and slowly mix the eggs with the flour until all the flour, eggs and oil are combined.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four portions.
- *If you want to use a food processor for the dough: After grinding the dried porcini mushroom, add the other ingredients in the food processor and pulse until it becomes a ball. Then follow the same instructions in 5 and 6 above.
- Shaping the pasta with a pasta machine: Set the pasta machine at the widest setting. With hand or a rolling pin, flatten one portion (1/4) of dough. Crank the dough through the pasta machine. Fold it in thirds, turn 90 degrees, flatten the dough again, and feed through the machine. Continue this process for 8 times. After the eighth time, don't fold the dough at the end.
- Reduce the width setting of the machine by one notch and feed the dough through. Repeat this process until the dough become the desired thickness.
- Leave the sheet of pasta uncovered for 10 minutes to dry slightly. Then cut it into 1/2 - 1/4 inch thick strips using a knife or fettuccini cutter.
- *If you are rolling the by hand: If you don't have a pasta machine, you can make pasta sheets with a rolling pin. On a floured surface, roll one portion (1/4) of dough until very thin. Flour well and roll the pasta sheet and into a log. Use a sharp knife, cut the log into a 1/4 - 1/2 pieces. Then unroll each piece and dry them for 10-15 minutes before you bundle together. I have a step by step set of photo instructions on my web site at http://www.cuisinivity.com/recipe/archive/entrees/porchini_fettucini_mushroomsauce.php
- Keep 150g of the pasta for the two serving sauce recipe below and save the rest for another time.
- For Creamy Wild Mushroom Sauce - and Assembly : Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms expel the water and are tender - about 4 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add cream, butter and parmesan cheese and cook until all are combined well.
- Meanwhile, boil the porcini fettuccini in a large pot with salt until al dente. It should take only 3 minutes or less. Then drain.
- Add the cooked pasta to the mushroom cream sauce and mix well.
- Adjust taste with salt and pepper.
- Plate in a serving bowl/plate and garnish with the Italian parsley.
- Drizzle some truffle oil on top for even more mushroom goodness (optional).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms