If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I could go on and on with a recipe with 3 pages, with Bourbon vanilla pod and home-made ice cream, a half an hour chocolate sauce and home made meringues that take a whole afternoon. So what would I achieve? An amazing recipe that was more of an ego trip then a rational straight forward recipe that any one can achieve.
So I chose the easy peasy version, the one you can make in a blink on a hot afternoon when your friends show up. This is my concept of cooking.
So, how did this recipe come about? I lived in Italy for a few years and, unfortunately for my Portuguese sweet tooth, I came to the sad conclusion that they much rather prefer savoury to sweets. Don't get me wrong here, they have absolutely amazing desserts and sweets but they will trade them any day for 2 savoury dishes and a Caffè.
Obviously not all our friends are Italians and one day I had to come up with something really quickly. I am very meticulous and perfectionist but sometimes you have to lower your standards in face of reality – no dessert for our friends who, under the Tuscan Sun on areally hot afternoon, were expecting one.
So out comes a bag of meringues from the supermarket, ice-cream from the supermarket but no chocolate sauce. Well, there was one black Toblerone bar, semi-eaten. So that goes in the microwave and voilá, chocolate sauce. Put the coffee machine on the stove and assemble. Tell you what, sometimes I just loooove whomever invented supermarkets. So here is the deal, I give you the recipe on one condition, I made it by sight so don’t complain about the measures ok!? —Maria Teresa Jorge
- 12 scoops of good vanilla ice-cream
- 1 bar of Toblerone, I prefer the black one, but choose the one you like best
- 6 individual meringues
- 6 small european sized cups of coffee or decaf
- Choose 6 bowls to serve your Affogato. If you have time put them in the freezer for 1/2 an hour.
- Make the coffee.
- Break the chocolate in pieces and melt in the microwave. Set aside and let cool but keeping it still liquid.
- Break the meringues with your hands to obtain small and medium crumbs.
- Put 2 scoops of Vanilla in each bowl.
- Roughly divide the melted chocolate sauce over the ice cream and pour one small european size cup of coffee over the ice cream. Sprinkle with the meringues and serve
- Note: If you need specific measurements, I'll gladly weigh everything for you - I am European but can do my maths.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
Stone Cold—er, Hot
Desserts that make the case for peaches, apricots, and plums
Stone (fruit) cold desserts.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the summer blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).