If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My Slow Roasted Lemon Chicken was the inspiration for this coffee rubbed one. I just love the slow roast on low heat. - inpatskitchen
Serves 4 to 6
Coffee rub ( makes 4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon very finely ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- Combine all ingredients.
Chicken and roasting
- 1 4 to 5 pound whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, halved
- 3 tablespoons coffee rub
- Place the garlic in the cavity of the chicken and rub the chicken with the olive oil.
- Sprinkle and lightly rub the chicken with the coffee rub. Cover and park in the fridge for an hour or two.
- Roast the chicken in a 250F oven for 5 hours, uncovered. After an hour or so, tilt the chicken to let accumulated juices out of the cavity and baste the chicken with the juices. Repeat this every 30 to 40 minutes while the chicken is roasting.
- After roasting and while the chicken is resting you can make a pan sauce by placing the roasting pan over two burners on the stove, leaving a few tablespoons of the drippings. Add the garlic that was roasting in the cavity ( mash it) along with a teaspoon of the rub and 2 cups of chicken broth. Thicken with a little instant flour if desired. Purely optional..
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Roast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee