Author Notes: I made this recipe wanting to tie the bold flavors of coffe with the sweetness of brown sugar to create a rub that is great on Seafood, Steak, or Chicken. My favorite combination was with the scallops. - UncChar
- 2 ounces Applewood smoked bacon (sliced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 shallots (brunoise)
- 2 tablespoons ginger (minced)
- 2 ounces apple cider vinegar
- 2 ounces honey
- 3 ounces olive oil
- 1 juice from 1/2 lemon
- to taste black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso or coffee
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry ginger
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 U-10 scallops
- 4 cups baby spinach with mixed greens
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 2 ounces white wine
- 4 ounces butter
- Render fat from bacon.
- Add the garlic, shallot, and ginger. Heat until fragrant.
- Deglaze with cider vinegar, then add honey, olive oil, and lemon.
- Season with pepper.
- Toss greens and spinach in vinaigrette.
- Pat scallops dry.
- Lightly dredge with flour. In a seperate bowl mix together brown sugar, instant espresso, or coffee, ground coriander, cumin, ginger, red pepper chili flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Sear one side in pan with hot oil.
- Flip and rub small amount of espresso mixture on top.
- Deglaze with white wine.
- Add butter and finish cooking scallops in a 400 degree oven. About 5-7 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee