If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I only make this sandwich in the summer when fresh tomatoes and fresh basil are available. I suppose that it could be made in other seasons but personally I won't touch a tomato unless I know it is fresh from the garden...the flavor is simply gone after summer. Likewise basil and other herbs. (By summer, I mean as long as the tomatoes last...It is October now and I am using the last of mine.) I usually use sharp cheddar cheese like Neal's yard. The combination of strong flavors (sharp cheddar, basil pesto and ham) keep the tastebuds busy . - dymnyno
- 2 slices whole wheat bread or flax bread for low carbohydrate diet
- 4oz thinly sliced ham (Nieman ham slice cut diagonally )
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese (Neal's Yard is good)
- 1/2 FRESH tomato, sliced
- 1 tbs mayonnaise
- 1 tbs pesto , preferably home made, but otherwise your favorite store bought
- On the first slice of bread spread the pesto
- Slice the ham thinly and pile on the slice with the pesto.
- Grate the Cheddar and mix it with the mayo...it makes it easier to handle and put on the other slice of bread.
- Thinly slice the tomato and place it on top of the cheddar./mayo mixture.
- Place the slice of bread with the mayo/cheddar mixture and tomato slices on the top of the other slice with the pesto and ham.
- Using a frying pan toast it on low heat until the cheese melts and the bread toasts to your taste. Turn it over once to evenly toast both sides of the sandwich.
- Slice the sandwich your favorite direction .
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best "Ham and Cheese"
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls