Author Notes: This salad is my variation of a traditional Mimosa. I also make this salad with crab meat, and for special events with lobster. I am stir-frying calamari to give them more flavor.
Everybody knows that Squid (calamari) becomes though when overcooked; that’s why I pay special attention when cooking, and also fry it without a batter.
For the salad.
- • 1 pound Calamari (Squid) cleaned, washed, and pat dry
- • 2 medium shallots or 1 red onion sliced in very thin rounds
- • 5 hard boiled eggs
- • 1 tablespoon oil
- • 2 carrots cut in thin strips and blanched
- • Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
Lemon Tarragon Dressing:
- • 3 lemons, juiced
- • 3 tablespoons prepared mayonnaise
- • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- • ½ cup olive oil
- • Salt& freshly ground pepper
- • 1 tablespoon capers in vinegar (drained)
- • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- To make the dressing: Whisk together lemon juice, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified, mix- in capers and tarragon.
- Organize the cooking with the final assembly in mined. 1. Boil the eggs, cool and peel; and then cut in half lengthwise. 2. Separate yolks from the whites. Slice the egg whites in thin half-moon slices. Blanch the carrot strips in salted water for 10 minutes. 4. Slice only calamari body’s in1/8-inch rounds, leave the tentacles whole. 5. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, add the tablespoon oil. 6. When oil is hot add the calamari slices and stir-fry just for (about 11/2 to 2 minutes). 7. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain, sprinkle with salt and pepper. 8. Repeat the same with the tentacles. Drain on another plate, you will need them later for decoration.
- To assemble the salad: 1. On a nice platter layer all ingredients in this order: egg whites, carrots, shallots, and squid. 2. In between each layer spread lemon dressing. 3. Repeat as many times as you need to use-up all the ingredients, and dressing. 4. The top layer should be crumbled egg yolks. 5. Decorate with the reserved fried tentacles.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe