If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by a still life painting by Nicolas-Henry Jeaurat de Bertry, the asparagus, when plucked from the soufflé, acts as a vehicle to transport the spongy egg of the soufflé. —feastingonart
- 30 stalks of asparagus
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- Carefully wash the asparagus and trim the tips so that they stick 1-inch above the rim of the ramekin. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- In a small pan, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil with the salt for about 5 minutes until soft. Using a hand blender, puree the onions and slowly add the milk. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and add the flour. Immediately begin whisking to form a roux and cook, stirring continuously for 2 minutes. Once the roux begins to brown, add the onion and milk mixture and stir until smooth. Increase the heat to medium-high, bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan. Once cooled slightly, add the four egg yolks and stir until very smooth. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer set to medium-high. Beat until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes. Take a large spoonful of the egg whites and stir into the soufflé mixture. Once incorporated, lightly fold in the remaining egg whites. Pour the soufflé mixture into the 4 asparagus-lined ramekins. Place on baking try and slide into oven.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes until the soufflé has risen. Test, insert a skewer into a crack on the side and when removed, should be clean. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
Put Summer in a Jar
How to freestyle berry jam
Freestyle berry jam.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
The new Food52 office.
Octopi my heart.