Author Notes: There's no way to deny this heart. Spring baby artichokes are a delicacy that deserves your attention. The tender thin fleshy pedals with undeveloped thistles offer the perfect opportunity for blending flavors and textures. - UBGardenCook
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons freshly pressed olive oil
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 5 sun dried tomatoes
- 7 small artichokes
- Peel and clean artichokes making sure to remove outer leaves to expose the lighter green younger inner leaves. Using a peeler clean the base and stem of artichoke. Prepare ahead of time a bowl of water with the juice from one lemon. Reserve a little lemon for finishing. As you finish cleaning one artichoke set it in the water bath until ready to cook. This will prevent the artichokes from discoloring. Set a steamer over boiling water and cook until tender. Remove and let cool.
- When cooled cut ½ inch off the top and the bottom of the stem then slice the artichoke lengthwise down the center. Cut around the upper portion of the heart and remove the choke from the heart. Mix oil and vinegar together and marinated in half the mixture and season with diced rosemary, let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Over hot coals place the artichokes face down and grill until browned. Chop sun-dried tomatoes and place in the heart of the artichoke. Season with the remaining oil, vinegar and lemon. Season with salt and serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe