If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I honestly can’t remember when or how I learned to prepare this dish as I’ve been doing it for so long. I recall once cooking it in tandem with a Roman friend in the kitchen of a short term let apartment in Chelsea when I was in NY for business. Here I’m combining peak of the season English peas just bursting with flavor along with guanciale from La Quercia. La Quercia is one of the top two or three purveyors of cured pig parts in America http://www.laquercia.us/home/. They use sustainably raised Berkshire pigs from Iowa which have a sublime flavor. It’s well worth your time to seek out their products.
You may substitute prosciutto for the guanciale but ask to have it sliced thick so that you can cut it into small dice. This is as simple but as delicious as it gets if you can pull together the best ingredients.
- 1 cup shelled green peas
- 1/4 cup diced guanciale (or prosciutto)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 spring onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pecorino cheese
- A big handful of fettucine
- sea salt and black pepper
- Add the butter to a hot pan large enough to contain the pasta and the finished sauce. When the butter melts add the guanciale (or prosciutto).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add kosher or sea salt.
- Once the guanciale begins to resemble bacon spoon off excess fat and add the chopped shallot, just to color. Add the cream and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Begin cooking the pasta in salted boiling water.
- Add the peas to the cream and pig and season with salt and pepper. Keep your sauce simmering but not boiling.
- When the fettucine is cooked to almost al dente transfer it directly to the simmering sauce to finish.
- Grate a generous amount of pecorino over the pasta. Taste sauce for seasoning and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
Get whisked away.