If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My friends Amy and Chris (Food52 regulars) had a recession-theme party the night of the last inauguration and I brought this soup. Not only is it cheap and tasty, but because it's made in a slowcooker, it's easy too.
I like soup year round, but as it gets warmer I like standing at the stove less, so this recipe is perfect! —iheartarugula
- 1 pound lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (or jarred pureed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes with roasted garlic and onion
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place lentils, garlic, carrots, onions, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric and salt in slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth and water and stir to combine,
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add diced tomatoes, curry powder and cayenne. Stir and cover.
- Cook another 1-2 hours or until lentils are soft and vegetables are tender.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Throw an Intimate Party for 30—Really!
A behind-the-scenes look at our genius dinner
How to throw a Genius dinner party for 30.
13 essential cooking apps.
We've got the summer blues.
Paint your kitchen in one day.
A better basket.