Author Notes: My Italian American Grandma was not a convenience food lady. Everything was made from scratch. Pizza, pasta, and cake. But for this dish she used canned peas and tomatoes. It just works so that how I do it now. I always have peas, pasta, and tomatoes in the pantry. It's my go to cheap, easy, and yummy meal. - leigh frat
- 1 onion medium chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can tomato puree (8 ounces)
- 8 ounces water
- 1 can sweet peas (8.5 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 box pasta small shells or other small pasta
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Saute onion in olive oil until soft Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Add can of tomatoes and water. Also add the remaining salt. Cook 20 minutes.
- Drain liquid from peas. Add peas to sauce. Cook 15 minutes.
- Add cheese to the sauce.
- Cook pasta according to the directions until al dente.
- Drain and add pasta to the pea sauce. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner