If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Aren't whole grains wonderful? They are a cheap, delicious pantry staple and so versatile. This is a homey casserole and you can use whatever grains you have on hand, just keep the water to grain ratio the same when cooking. I would recommend using the wheat berries, though, for their distinct chewy texture. The grains can be prepared a day ahead and then just toss in the remaining ingredients for a quick meal. - BlueKaleRoad
- 1/2 cup whole wheat berries
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup black olives, sliced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the grains and water to a boil in a 4 quart saucepan. Reduce heat, give a stir, cover and simmer until soft and water is absorbed, about 1/2 hour. If a little water is still left you can remove from heat and keep covered and the water will be absorbed. Can be prepared a day ahead. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the remaining ingredients with the grains in a buttered casserole or large pie dish (reserve some green onions to garnish after baking). Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle on the reserved green onions and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
A Genius Dinner Party: Part 2
Of course, it involves no-knead pizza dough.
A genius dinner party: part 2
A list of things we like.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Home & design links we love.
Mortar and pestle perfection.