If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This bread is a gluten-free girl's dream come true. As a long time devotee of traditional pumpernickel bread, my gluten allergy encouraged me to set out to develop a gluten-free version that maintained the same delicious tang, moist and hearty texture, and crisp (almost peel-able) crust. The result: a heavenly mix of buttermilk, caraway seeds and cocoa powder. It’s so good, even if you could, you’ll never want to look back. —GreenGirl'sGourmet
Makes 1 loaf
- 2 + 3/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (such as Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, toasted
- 5 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, gently warmed
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Heat oven to 375 degrees farenheight. Lightly grease a loaf pan and line it with parchment paper. Sprinkle the bottom with cornmeal.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In the bowl if a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine all wet ingredients. Switch out whisk attachment for paddle, and with the machine running on medium speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. If the mixture looks too dry, add a little more buttermilk. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Spoon into prepared pan and smooth the top. Cover with a piece of greased plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise, about 30-45 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen to the top of the pan, cover with tin foil, place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove bread from the pan using the parchment and place on the rack to bake for 5 additional minutes. Remove parchment paper and let cool completely on a cooling rack before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good
More Great Recipes: Bread, Rolls & Muffins
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.