If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love this rustic recipe because of it's versatility. You can make it ahead for a picnic, prep your ingredients and make it at your next tailgate, or add protein and turn it into a complete meal for a quick weeknight dinner. It's also a great way to use up some veggies from your CSA box or last nights dinner too. I hope you find as light and refreshing-and enjoyable-as we do! - Chelsea 'Noble' Houser
Serves 4-6, depending
- 12 ounces Country-style Bread, flavored or Gluten-free can be used, if desired
- 12 ounces Cherry or Grape tomatoes
- 8-10 ounces Artichoke Hearts, quartered (drained, if using jarred)
- 6 ounces Haricot Vert (french green beans), blanched, and cut into 1" pieces
- 12 Sundried Tomato halves (packed in oil), thinly sliced
- 1-2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil, plus more for grilling bread
- 3 tablespoons Flat-Leaf Parsley, chopped
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 1/4 cup Chicken or Vegetable Broth (more if needed)
- Slice bread into 1" thick slices and brush both sides with olive oil. Grill bread over medium heat until marked and lightly toasted on both sides. Alternately, the bread could be prepared in a grill pan or in a broiler, taking care not to burn it. When cool, cut or tear bread into 1" cubes. Don't worry if it's not perfect-this salad is supposed to be rustic!
- Grill tomatoes in a mesh grill pan or on a small grate over medium heat, just until their skins begin to pop. Make sure the skins pop on ALL the tomatoes. If you don't have a grate or pan, you can skewer the tomatoes. If you're not using the grill, you can use a grill pan or the broiler to achieve the same effect.
- Remove tomatoes to a very large bowl while still warm. Add artichokes, minced garlic, sundried tomatoes, and green beans. Stir in parsley, lemon zest and juice, and 3 Tbs olive oil. Toss well. Season lightly with salt and pepper. About 20 minutes before serving, toss bread cubes with tomato-artichoke mixture. Stir mixture very well, pressing lightly on tomatoes to release juices. Pour over chicken broth and mix gently. Allow to sit 15-20 minutes for cubes to soften slightly in the dressing and flavors to mix. Enjoy!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.