Author Notes: Farro is one of those delicious heirloom grains that is making a comeback. Chewy and nutty, farro adds a note of interest to any dish and will have your diners guessing at the source. This salad pairs farro with delicious spring flavors and a zesty lemon mint dressing. - stirfrei
- 2 cups farro
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, ends removed, sliced into 1" pieces on the bias
- 1 pound fava beans, shelled
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup argula, washed
- 1 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook farro in 4 cups salted water until tender. Drain and cool on a sheet tray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch aspargus until tender about 2 - 4 mintues. Remove from water and shock in an ice bath. Set aside Cook fava beans in same pot of water. Blanch for a minute or so, cool in an ice batch, and remove the outer shell from the bean.
- Mix together cooled farro, asparagus, arugula, tomatoes, and shelled fava beans. Whisk lemon juice, mint and olive oil together and pour over the salad. Season with a good amount of black pepper and salt. Enjoy cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish