Author Notes: I started making this salad two summers ago after receiving my first order of Christmas lima beans from Rancho Gordo. I loosely followed a succotash recipe from the Rancho Gordo cookbook and added more vegetables, a big handful of mint, and a sherry vinaigrette. The perfect time to make this salad is in the heart of summer, when the farmer's markets are brimming with sweet corn, cherry tomatoes, and green beans. It's a beauty with its rainbow of colors and it travels well for a picnic or potluck. Aside from cooking the limas and blanching the green beans, it requires no stove or oven time -- just my type of dish for the dog days of summer. - EmilyC
Food52 Review: This is a delicious take on the classic succotash, with goat cheese making a nice creamy addition. The mint sets the dish apart from other succotash recipes, as well. I cannot stop eating it -- cold, room temperature, or warm. Christmas lima beans can be hard to find, but the recipe instructions note that you can use romano beans instead. I will definitely be making this again, with more mint and maybe even add a sprig of dill. - DeannaMarie
Serves 4 to 6
- 1/2 pound green beans (both haricot verts or Romano work well), trimmed and snapped in halves or thirds
- 2 tablespoons sherry or red wine vinegar, or more to taste
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or more to taste
- 8 ounces dried Christmas lima beans, cooked according to package instructions (regular lima beans (fresh beans can be substituted)
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 3 ears)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare an ice bath in a large bowl. Add a generous amount of kosher salt, then the beans. Cook until tender but still slightly crisp in the middle (about 2 to 3 minutes for haricot verts and slightly longer for Romano beans). Transfer to the ice bath to stop the cooking and lock in the color. Drain and set aside.
- Place vinegar in a small bowl, then gradually whisk in oil.
- In a large bowl, combine green beans, Christmas limas, cherry tomatoes, corn, chives, mint, and 3/4 cup goat cheese. Pour dressing over salad, a little at a time, tasting as you go. Toss to coat. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Garnish with remaining 1/4 cup goat cheese. Serve at room temperature, with lime wedges on the side.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mint
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish