If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The traditional recipe for Kibbe Neye uses raw meat mixed with bulger.(neye means raw in Arabic). My mother-in-law, Jamille Betesh used to make it all the time using raw meat and I unaware of the key ingredient used to gobble them up. When I found out that raw meat was used I quickly lost my appetite. But then I discovered you could substitute lentils for the meat and it tastes just as good and is a whole lot healthier!! - Joy Betesh
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups fine bulgur
- 3 onions chopped fine
- 3-4 scallions chopped fine
- 1 red pepper chopped fine
- 1 green pepper chopped fine
- 2-3 plum tomatoes chopped fine
- 1/2 bunch curly parsely washed, dried and finely chopped
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3-4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup water or more
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl mix the scallions, peppers, tomatoes, and parsley and bulger and set aside.
- Wash and rinse the lentils, put in a saucepan with 1/2 the onions and the cup of water to cover or more. Cook the lentils till they are soft and turn yellow, about 10 minutes. Pour through a strainer to rid of excess liquid and add to the bowl with the veg. and bulgur. Saute the rest of onion in the oil and when translucent add to the bulgur mixture.
- Add the tomato paste and spices to bowl and mix well with hands. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil and let rest in refrigerator for 30 -45 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings.Using your hands shape each tablespoon of the mixture into torpedo form. Pile on a platter and serve at room temperature.
Tags: a great finger food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
All you need for Memorial Day.
Cast your vote!
Grind it real good.