If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In April, I planted a forest-worth of tomatoes smugly thinking that I would have baskets of beautiful tomatoes throughout the Summer. The plants are enormous, but have only produced 1 tomato. ONLY ONE!! It was a Big Bertha and the birds got it before I did. That does not stop me from buying gorgeous tomatoes at the market and eating them every which way. Tomatoes stuffed with salad is something my mother use to make. Here, I have stuffed the best of summer's tomatoes with a salad made from the best of summer's sweet corn and fresh herbs. Serve it alone with some crusty bread or alongside grilled fish for a delicious Summer supper. The best part: you get to eat the bowl. - Waverly
- 4 medium - large ripe tomatoes
- 5-6 ears sweet corn, for about 3 cups of kernels, husks and silk removed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup exra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- zest of 1 lime
- PREP THE TOMATOES: Using a sharp knife, remove the tops and the core of the tomatoes. Using a spoon, remove the seeds and juice so that you are left with a hollow tomato shell. This will be your salad bowl. Set hollowed-out tomatoes aside.
- PREP CORN: Bring a pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, fill a sink with ice water. When the water boils, add a little salt and then add the corn. Cook corn for 3 minutes. Remove from pot and immediately place in sink of ice water to stop the cooking. When corn is cool, dry them off and then cut the kernels from the cobs.
- TOSS: In a mixing bowl, combine the corn kernels with the bell pepper, celery, onion, feta cheese, and herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime zest, garlic and lime juice with a pinch of sea salt. Pour enough vinaigrette over the salad to moisten and toss.
- STUFF AND SERVE: Divide corn salad among tomato bowls and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
You're the Best, Forget the Rest
The World's 50 Best Restaurants have nothin' on these recipes.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
These are mmmpanadas.
You won't be board with this game.