If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These were called Dobladitas de Elote y Aguacate
when I was growing up in Mexico City. A favorite -- the crisped corn and warm avocado in the tortilla make an unusual combination. - BarbaraSipley - BarbaraSibley
Food52 Review: After making these Sweet Corn and Avocado Tortilla Turnovers, I’ll be adding them to my rotation. In a welcome change from typical stuffed tortillas, these turnovers don’t rely on any shredded cheese, beans or meat, allowing the flavor of the sweet corn to really shine through. BarbaraSibley's instructions for softening and stuffing the corn tortillas are excellent. The step of flipping the stuffed turnovers is a little tricky (it took me a few tries to get it right) but overall, these are a breeze to make and an excellent way to showcase sweet corn. - EmilyC - EmilyC
- 2 cups cups of sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup onion diced in a ½ “dice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh epazote leaves or substitute fresh oregano
- 2 Hass Mexican avocadoes, in slices
- 16 white corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a sauté pan at medium heat cook the onion in 2 T of the corn oil until translucent. Add the corn kernels, epazote and salt and continue to sautee until the corn begins crisp and turn golden, being careful not to let the corn kernels get too tough. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a new sauté pan place 2 T of corn oil and heat on a medium flame. Once the oil is hot, but not smoking, place 2 corn tortillas in the oil. Turn the tortillas with the tongs coating them lightly on both sides with the warm corn oil. Open the tortillas and place about 3 T of the corn mixture on one half of each tortilla. Place 2 slices of avocado on top of the corn mixture and close the turnover with the tongs. Continue to cook for about 2 minutes on each side so that the tortilla holds its shape but still remains soft. .
- Transfer to a serving platter. Continue this process until you have stuffed all 16 tortillas. Garnish with fresh chopped epazote or fresh oregano. Add salt to taste and serve with a salsa picante
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
The Best Cinnamon Rolls
10 Cozy Finger Foods