If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If I were at a fair I would want food thats easy to eat while on the go keeping mess to a minimum, so I created this pocket burger. I made pizza dough, my no knead, quick rise dough, and filled with burgers, onions, mushrooms, cheese and a sriracha mayonaise. The burgers are really moist and juicy even though I used lean ground sirloin. You can fill with whatever you like it's very adaptable. - sdebrango
The dough, burgers and fixings
- 1 recipe pizza dough. Make your own, buy it frozen, get if from a pizzaria. I used my easy no knead dough here is the link http://www.food52.com/recipes/12305_pizza_with_no_knead_crust
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin- 90%
- 1 medium size onion (I used vidalia)chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms (I used button) sliced
- olive oil to coat pan
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you are making homemade dough you can cook and prep the ingredients while the dough is rising. Coat pan with olive oil, add the chopped onion and cook until onion is caramelized. Remove onions from pan, add a little more olive oil and fry the sliced mushrooms until they are soft. Remove from pan and set both the onions and mushrooms aside.
- Make the hamburger patties, they should be 4 inches round and 2 inches thick. Salt and pepper both sides. Cook the burgers in the same pan you cooked the onions and mushrooms in. Get the pan good and hot and sear the burgers on both sides. The inside of the burger will be raw. Set the burgers aside. All the components should be room temperature when you put the sandwiches together.
Putting it all together
- Pizza dough
- 1/4 cup Mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- cooked onions and mushroom
- 4 slices swiss cheese (or whatever type of cheese you like)
- olive oil to brush on dough before and after baking
- sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees Mix the mayo and sriracha. On a floured surface roll your dough into a thin round, using a 6 inch cutter (I used a saucer and cut around it) cut out enough rounds for 4 sandwiches 2 rounds per sandwich (8 rounds total) place 4 rounds on parchment lined baking sheet, place a burger in the middle of each, spread a tablespoon of sriracha mayo on top of each burger spread it all over the top of the burger, add a heaping tablespoon each of onions and mushrooms on top of each burger and top with cheese.
- Top each with another dough round and press edges together, rolling and pressing to make sure you have a strong seal. Brush each with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown, Remove from oven, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Let rest for 10-15 minutes. The burgers should be med/med rare.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food