If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I found the recipe for these pancakes in an old cooking book from 1972. The title of this book is “Culinary Wisdom”. The illustrator was my close friend’s father. Although I was then only 18 years old, he new how much I was interested in culinary and he gave me one of his copies as a gift when the cook book was published. This cook book has recipes from all over the world but it is written in Russian and it took me some time to translate and adjust all measurements.
The recipe for the Avocado Cream is inspired by one of my former colleague, who is from the Philippines. When we used to have lunch together at work, Ethel told me many times that in her country they use avocados in desserts. I decided to use as a sweetener condensed milk because it keeps the color light, then added sour cream and lemon juice to prevent oxidation and to make it as a real dessert, add vanilla and cinnamon.
Finely to add a summer note, I poached 1very large peach in orange juice and brown sugar. All the additions gave a simple breakfast pancake a festive and delicious finale.
Makes 12 medium size pancakes
For the pancakes
- • 1 full cup old fashioned whole grain rolled oats
- • 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- • 2 extra large eggs (separated)
- • 2 large carrots (peeled, grated on the large side of the grater and juice squeezed slightly out)
- • 2 tablespoons sugar
- • Zest of 1 lemon
- • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- • 1/4 kosher salt
- About 3 tablespoons canola oil + 2 tablespoons butter for frying pancakes
For the Avocado cream
- • 1 large Hass avocado (cut in half, seeded and the flash scooped out)
- • 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- • 2 tablespoons sour cream
- • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- • Juice of half a lime
- • Zest of 1 lime
- • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For the Poached Peaches:
- • 1 large or 2 medium ripe but firm peaches (blanched for 30-40 seconds and peeled)
- • 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- • 1 cinnamon stick
- • 1 tablespoon cold butter
- To make the pancakes: In medium size sauce pan scold the milk, mix in oats, tightly cover and let stand until all of the milk is absorbed and cooled to room temperature. Add carrots, lemon zest, vanilla and egg yolks. Mix well to combine.
- In a medium bowl beat, with a hand mixer, egg whites with the salt and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice until soft picks form; then slowly add the sugar, while continuing beating until stiff and shiny.
- Gently fold in the meringue to the oats and carrot mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1/2 tablespoon butter in large heavy-bottomed, nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Drop 3 or 4 heaping tablespoonfuls batter in pan. Fry until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer pancakes to a large plate lined with paper towels. When necessary, add more oil and butter to skillet and fry remaining batter.
- To make the Avocado Cream: In a medium bowl combine all ingredients and beat with a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy. Transfer to a serving dish.
- To make poached peaches: In a medium sauce pan simmer orange juice, brown sugar and cinnamon stick until reduced approximately in half, add the peaches and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon transfer peaches to a serving dish, add 1 tablespoon butter to the sauce pan, turn of the flame and stir in the butter. Pour over peaches.
- Serve the pancakes immediately. For every day breakfast serve with sour cream, maple syrup, or crème fraîche.
- Notes: These pancakes can be made also with other vegetables such as parsnips, zucchini, celery root and in the autumn with pumpkin or butternut squash. A savory variation with salt, freshly ground black pepper and herbs of your choice, and served with Tzatziki dip, would be equally delicious.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Behind the scenes.
Recipe of the Day
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.