Author Notes: The quintessential autumn vegetable recipe- deep & smokey, with a pan gastrique to bring it all together. I serve this every Thanksgiving. - Stefano Coppola
- 2 pounds brussel sprouts, trimmed & halved
- 12 ounces smoked bacon, cut into thin strips
- 5 shallots, julienned
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- kosher salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a very large skillet, prefferably cast iron, cook bacon over med-low heat until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add canola oil and saute shallots until soft and begining to caramelize. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve with bacon.
- Increase heat to med & add brussel sprouts to skillet, having as many with the cut side down as possible. Allow to cook for 3 min, transfer to oven & roast for about 15 minutes, until tender.
- Remove brussel sprouts from skillet. Add vinegar and sugar and cook until reduced by half and syrupy. Toss with brussel sprouts, bacon, and shallots. Season to taste with salt & pepper, serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Best Brussel Sprouts