Author Notes: Caprese salads and skewers are one of those great antipasti dishes you just love. The tomatoes and basil are just waiting for that mozzarella to come and make a party! Every time there is a foodpickle posting asking what appetizer to please a large crowd, a veggie crowd, a recipe to beat the heat or easily transported...this is the recipe Boulangere or I always post. Can't wait to see what she posts, but here is mine... - lorigoldsby
Serves a crowd
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 pound mini mozzarella balls
- 1/4 cup good quality, fruity olive oil
- 3 tablespoons good quality aged balsamic vinegar (the thicker, the better)
- kosher salt & coarse cracked pepper
- 48 wooden skewers or toothpicks
- Mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar and marinate mozzarella by breaking mini balls into individual pieces. refrigerate 30 min to overnight.
- Wash basil leaves and spin dry in salad spinner. Slice cherry tomato into quarters. Add mozzarella ball and wrap the basil leave around both. Use skewer to secure leaf.
- These can be stored in refrigerator a day ahead. Drizzle with olive oil before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes