Author Notes: While you're puttering around your house this weekend, tuck a pan of tomatoes in the oven, come back several hours later, and have a peak. They will add a whole new dimension of flavour to your appetizer! Not only does slow-roasting concentrate and caramelize the intense flavour of cherry tomatoes, but it also gives them a meatier, more robust texture. - bellini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chilies, minced
- 6 mini wheels or three 4.5 oz wheels of brie cheese, at room temperature
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- Sublushed tomatoes, recipe follows
- 1/2 pound fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Prehat barbecue to medium-high. Whisk the olive oil in a large bowl with the lemon zest, garlic and chilies. Add brie to the bowl and coat with the mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Slice the baguette, pide or ciabatta and toast pieces over medium-high on a barbecue grill rack. As they are done rub them, one at a time, with a whole garlic clove. Season with a little sea salt, then stack them one on top of the other and set aside.
- Arrange the cheeses on grill racks. Drizzle with any remaining marinade. Cover the grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheeses are swollen and ready to burst.
- Serve the cheeses on a platter with grilled ciabata. To eat, make a shallow cut on top of cheese and party peel back skin. Dunk bread in melted cheese and go for it! Serve with Sunblushed tomatoes
- *Tip: If grilling isn’t possible, lay cheese on a parchment-lined tray. Bake in a preheated 375˚F oven for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sunblushed Tomatoes In early morning, heat your oven to its top temperature. Remove the stems from the tomatoes and cut larger ones in half along their equator. Place cut side up in an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, thyme and oregano. Drizzle over the olive oil and put in the oven.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 165-200°F. The lower the temperature, the longer it will take but more flavourful they will be.
- Cook for 2-3 hours, until the tomatoes are soft and fragrant. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Makes about 1 cup (can easily be multiplied, though)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes